Monday 8 June 2009

Namibe Desert, part one


Here I start a serie of posts about my last trip here in Angola: a 6-day journey to the desert of Namibe. During the posts you will understand why it was one of the best experiences of my life.
We were eight people in two 4x4 Land Rovers who could, really, climb walls. After a few kilometers we went off-road, and saw plenty of Welwitwschia mirabilis, which is a flesh-eating plant that can reach 2m square (or even more) know as "the plant of the desert". It can live for a thousand years.
The view changes from minute to minute in our way to the place would be our camp, beside Kunene river.
I will never forget the time I saw the first gazela. Seeing an animal in his habitat is priceless, and can never be compaired to a journey to the zoo (which is also very educative). The gazela is amazingly classic, elegant and inocent at the very same time, jumping like a happy kid. It is for sure a crying scene.

1 comment: